时间:2017-08-08 17:51:50
来源:网络 作者:May
1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be completed and everyone has to work hard
1.关键时期:项目竣工之前的一段时期,人人都在加紧工作
I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.
这些天,我从没好好休息过,毕竟现在正处在攻坚期。
2.LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY:to let others see your uniqueness
2.展示身手:让他人看到自己的独特性
My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
圣诞会上,同事们惊呆了——我一显身手跳了段霹雳舞。
3. GET OUT OF HAND:when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
3.失控:对某事失去控制,出现混乱。
The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
来宾们互相掷瓶,聚会一度失控。
4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT:to understand something
4.集中精力:弄清某事
I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
我还是想不通乔为何要离我们而去。
5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or change your mind
5.立场坚定/决不动摇:拒绝让步或改变主意
My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on to become a famous writer.
父母劝我放弃写作,但我立场坚定,立志成为一名出色的作家。
6. POUND THE PAVEMENT: to walk the streets looking for a job
6.在人行道徘徊:徘徊街头找工作
I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.
在街上徘徊了数月,我才找到这份快餐店的工作。
7.PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT: to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible
7.另辟蹊径:做一些让人出乎意料,看上去不可能实现之事
I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.
原以为我们要破产了,但我的生意伙伴另辟蹊径接到了一个大单子。
8. LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED: to do everything you can to achieve your goal
8.不遗余力:千方百计实现某事
I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out who did this.
不管用什么办法,我都会查出这是谁干的。
9. GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM: to do something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and don’t want to postpone any longer
9.迫不及待:去做某项盼望已久的事情,不愿再等待
I wasn’t sure how she was going to react, but I had to get it out of my system, so I told her I had found another woman.
我不知道她会有什么反应,但是我等不下去了。因此,我告诉她自己移情别恋了。
10. STEP UP YOUR GAME: to start performing better
10.迎头赶上:做出更佳表现
If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
要想在这次竞争中获胜,你必须加把劲儿了。
11. PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER: to calm down and behave normally
11.振作起来:冷静下来,恢复正常
I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?
我知道你今天不容易,但是振作起来开始工作好吗?
12. SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT: either start performing better or leave
12.好好干不然就走人:好好表现不然就走人
This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.
我再说最后一遍,按时上班好好干,不然就走人。