时间:2017-07-25 15:16:43
来源:网络 作者:May
1.Break someone's heart
Definition: hurt someone, usually romantically, or to cause some great disappointment
通常是指在爱情中伤害到某人,或者使别人失望
Angela broke Brad's heart last year. He can't get over her.
去年,安吉拉伤了布拉德的心了。他不会原谅她的。
I think losing the job broke his heart.
我觉得,失去这份工作会使她十分沮丧。
2.Cross your heart and hope to die
Definition: Phrase meaning that you swear you are telling the truth
该短语意为你发誓自己说的是事实。
I cross my heart and hope to die. She's coming tomorrow!
我以死起誓。她明天会来的!
Do you cross your heart and hope to die? I won't believe you otherwise.
你能以死起誓吗?否则我是不会相信你的。
3.Eat your heart out
Definition: to be jealous or envious of someone else
妒忌或羡慕别人
I'm going to New York next week. Eat your heart out!
我下周就要去纽约了。你就嫉妒吧!
When he hears about your promotion he'll eat his heart out.
他要是听到你升职的消息,肯定羡慕得不得了。
4.Follow your heart
Definition: Do what you believe is right
做你自己认为正确的事情。
I think you should follow your heart and move to Chicago.
我觉得你应该遵从自己的意愿,搬到芝加哥去。
She said she had to follow her heart and marry Peter, even if her parents didn't approve.
她说,她得遵从自己的意愿嫁给皮特,尽管她的父母并不同意这门婚事。
5.From the bottom of my heart
Definition: Usually used in the first person, this phrase means that you are completely sincere
常用于第一人称,该短语意为你的态度非常真诚。
You're the best player on the basketball team. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
你是篮球队里最优秀的选手。我这是肺腑之言。
I think you are a wonderful person. Really, I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
我觉得你非常优秀。真的,我说这话是发自肺腑的。
6.Get at the heart of the matter
Definition: Discuss the main issue, concern
讨论主要的问题和担忧的事。
I'd like to get at the heart of the matter by discussing our marketing proposals.
我打算把我们的销售建议作为主要问题来讨论。
She didn't waste any time and got right to the heart of the matter.
她不浪费一分一秒,直接进入主题。
7.Be halfhearted about something
Definition: Not do or take something completely seriously
完全不认真对待某事
I wish you weren't so halfhearted about this new project! Get serious!
我希望你不要对这个新项目这么不上心!认真点!
She was rather halfhearted in her attempts to find a job.
她在找工作时态度相当漫不经心。